Happy almost Seollal holiday! According to visitkorea.org, “Seollal (Lunar New Year; January 1 of the lunar calendar) is one of the most celebrated national holidays in Korea. This year, Seollal falls on January 31 of the Gregorian calendar. More than just a holiday to mark the beginning of a new year, Seollal is truly a special occasion for Korean people. Not only is it a time for paying respect to ancestors, but it is also an opportunity to catch up with distant family members who travel home to get together for this special occasion. During Seollal, Koreans traditionally wear hanbok (traditional clothes), perform ancestral rites, play folk games, eat traditional foods, listen to stories, and catch up with one another.”
To shorten the summary above, Seollal is Korea’s New Year. Korea follows the Chinese Lunar calendar and this year is the year of the horse.
Because of the holiday, our school will be closed Thursday- Sunday! 🙂 John and I, along with my sister and some of our friends, are all going to go to Jeju Island! Jeju is a beautiful island off of the southern coast of South Korea. We are going with the Seoul Hiking Group. My sister went last year and had a blast! I am looking forward to seeing how it will be. 🙂
I have posted the itinerary below!
– Round-trip (Seoul<->Wando island),
– Ferry (Wando island<->Jeju),
– Jeju tour for 4 days (Seoul Hiking Group has our own chartered bus)
– covers all entrance fees ( Mangjang cave, Sunrise Peak, Waterfall, Bijarim Forest),Tangerine Picking
– Best beach pension (All rooms have an ocean view. 1 room per 4 -6 people (private rooms are available at an additional cost)
– 3 breakfast meals, 1 dinner (first day of Jeju)
– Submarine, Horseback riding, Loveland (these are optional)
– Winter wonderland on Mt. Hallasan (highest peak off mainland Korea)
– Snacks will be provided on the bus (Jeju water, tangerines, Chocolate, etc)
♣ UNESCO World Nature Heritage all the 3 places in Jeju!
– Hallasan, Seongsan ilchulbong crater, Manjanggul cave and its Geomun oreum (this is limited to only 400 visitors a day)
♣ A truly exciting and unique experience to visit Jeju!
– Biggest Bijarim forest in the world. During this season, you can see greens. There are 2,800 trees in the forest.
– Waterfall that falls straight to ocean (only in Asia!)
– Udo island submarine tour! (optional)
– Horseback riding
♣ Entertainment Parks such as “Loveland” and Maze park! (optional)
Lunar New Year is just around the corner~! What better time to go and visit Jeju. Jeju is considered to be the warmest place in Korea for 3 days during the Lunar New Year.
The air flight and the ferry sell out rather quickly, but the Seoul Hiking Group has reserved 42 tickets.
[♣ Ferry] It’s a real journey!
* Ferry trip: We will take the midnight bus down to the ferry.
We can enjoy sleeping on the bus and wake up to a picturesque ocean. As we smell the fresh sea, we can walk around and enjoy coffee with some delicious bagels with plenty of cream cheese. This alternative is more like a real adventure than meeting friends at a crowded airport. And we won’t have to waste time checking bags.
* FASTEST AND NEWEST ferry to the Jeju Island arriving to the Jeju port in only 100 MINUTES.
* It has a dock, so you can enjoy the breeze, waves, ocean and the AMAZING VIEW of the beautiful marine national park
* has a snack bar that sells sandwiches and coffee
* RECLINING seat and a big screen TV
This trip would be the best well-organised trip to Jeju with the most affordable price as we goes frequently and regularly to Jeju and we know the best way how to explore huge Jeju(jeju is 3 times bigger than Seoul and has the tallest mountain in the middle) and get the biggest group discount for every entrance fee and take you all the secret and wonderful places ~!
The Seoul Hiking Group has taken countless tourists, hikers, students and travelers to Jeju every year (200+!). We have a lot of experience exploring this island. We will show you all the great spots and show you everything that Jeju has to offer!
Don’t miss this trip~!
The wether in Jeju ranges. It’s not as warm as summer, but it’s much warmer than Seoul.
It’s usually 6C~7C in winter. When it’s bright, sunny and hardly any wind, it would be roughly 15C (especially in Seogwuipo city).
This means the weather is almost similar with the spring weather in Seoul! The best part is, you can see beautiful fields of yellow rape flowers, yellow tangerines and pinkish camellia flowers everywhere~!
[♣ Hamdeok Seo-u-bong beach]
They usually call the beach Seo-u-bong beach
(the name seo-u-bong comes from the mountain along the seacoast and next to the beach)
It has a trail along the town and you can watch the sunrise/sunset.
*Pension is located next to the beach in a quiet area (NOT a cheap, stinky yeogwan or motel)
*All the rooms have a balcony and have a view of the beautiful ocean.
*Room has a double-size bed, table, kitchen, and a shower
*2 people sleep on the bed and 2 ppl on the floor with a mat and blanket,
*bigger rooms are available: 2 ppl on the bed,3-4 ppl on the floor
*mats, blankets, pillows will be provided.
* 2-3 ppl can claim a private room for an additional price.
[♣ Submarine Tour of beautiful Udo island]
– According to the Gunnies Of World Records, this is considered to be the world’s safest submarine tour for the past 10 years.
– a 40 minute undersea tour of corals, fish etc.
– English guides
[♣ Horseback riding]
-horseback riding around a track (with a guide)
[♣ Hallasan Hiking]
-safe, leisurely hike
-in the past 5 years that we have been going to Jeju, we have never missed this hike!
-We provide and prepare you with everything you need for the hike.
– the highest peak off mainland Korea (approx. 7 hours)
[♣ Jeju island]
Jeju has recently become one of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites. Jeju island, which is home to one of the 7 natural wonders of the world is the only place in the world to get a “Triple Crown” as a natural heritage site:
1.UNESCO biosphere reserves, 2.UNESCO World Heritage site, 3.UNESCO World Geopark~!
All in all, it should be a fun week! After the holidays, we have 4 more weeks and then we will officially be done with intensives! I can’t wait!
Hope you have a good week! Enjoy the few pictures below. 🙂
The pomeranians got a haircut and are looking cuter than ever! ❤
Shopping in Myeongdong on a Saturday evening.
Meeting interesting people in interesting places! 🙂
Seollal Gift from my school. I love wine!
Have a great week!